If you know someone associated with the FBI, they will tell you that hackers have been hijacking information from various computers around the globe for the last two decades or so. For many the act offers a sense of power and mischief. However, this practice today is being predominantly used by unscrupulous associations to steal sensitive information that could lead to financial and/or other losses. The following article will tell you how you can safeguard vital business information from these iniquitous hackers.
Various steps to protect business data
- Have a security audit: Make sure that you are aware of vital business data that needs to be secured. Work with an IT professional to audit your complete infrastructure. This includes computers, mobile devices and server networks.
- Spread awareness among the staff about their role in security: Trusted business staffs form the front line of defense for business security. Human errors are usually causes of data security breaches, and these can be minimized through vigilance.
- Use multiple and strong passwords: Many of us tend to set simple passwords that can be easily guessed by hackers. Difficult alphanumeric passwords can also be cracked by hackers with a ‘dictionary attack’. Setting multiple passwords will help combat the attack.
- Encryption of data: Data when encrypted, can be safe as it makes the data lesser vulnerable. If it is accessed through a pen drive or any other device, encryption will prevent the user from opening documents.
- Have security policies for your organisation: Clear and simple policies will assure the employees of a secure work environment. For example, you can make it mandatory for all computers to have installed security software.
- Protect the mobile force: Today’s sales teams operate many things with their mobile phones and other smart devices. They are away from your direct surveillance, often working in areas such as cafes or free parking networks. Make sure that their wireless networks are secured.
- Update Programs on a regular basis: If you install any software on your computer, it needs to be updated regularly. This will ensure that any loophole in the application that is fixed by the programmer provides you the extra safety that you need while using the application. Keep a track of all the software downloaded and ensure that you are using the latest updated version.
- Maintain backup: If data is not backed up, you will certainly lose it in the event of an attack. Always make sure you have data backup for easy recovery.
- Enforce multiple security technology solutions: Viruses corrupting data are not the only threats to companies. Hacker attacks have become very sophisticated, and so you must have the same level of security technology on all devices.
- Remember paper: In a digital world, we often forget about small pieces of paper with important information. Papers carrying sensitive credit card information and others must always be shredded.
By following the simple tips mentioned above, you can protect your business against most hackers. Stay vigilant and reduce the chances of data loss!
What do you think?